Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Veteran's Day

I personally view war as the last of all options and generally, war is a hallmark of a failure of policy. This is stand I may discuss further at a later time - today it is not the topic I want to address.

General William Tecumseh Sherman said "War is hell." I do not know the context in which he made that remark - certainly the torching of Atlanta and his scorched earth campaign was hellish enough. I do know that various tough guys (real and fictional) have used the quote to cavalierly describe the difficulties that they faced in doing some heroic act.

I view the quote somewhat more literally - war is an eternity of torment for people who fight in it. The fear, the unimaginable violence and the ease with which humans can become sub-human are sights no person should have to see. Those who fight in war see the worst that humanity has to offer. I wonder if any veteran has returned from war wholly unscarred by the experience. I believe that most veterans continue to bear the burden of what they witnessed in wartime until their death.

I also view those who have had to take up arms for our country as heroes. I may not agree with the policies that put us in war - in fact, I generally do not agree with them. That has no bearing on my regard for the men and women who must be the executors of the policy of war. These people, in my name, in your name, in the name of generations passed and generations yet to come set aside their plans, their hopes, their dreams, their very lives to take up arms and fight. That is a sacrifice on my behalf that demands respect.

I do not suggest soldiers are infallible, and I do not suggest that soldiers are paragons of virtue. If My Lai taught us anything, it taught us that the best men can do awful things when confronted by the horror of war. Regardless of that or other crimes American soldiers may have committed, those who go forth and fight on our behalf are deserving of a measure of respect and honor from each of us.

Let's also not forget that this is Veterans Day, not Memorial Day. This day commemorates all those who came home. While there is an air of solemnity here, there should also be an air of celebration. Not because they got out alive (though that is a good reason to be happy), but because of what they contributed after their service. People like Senators Kerrey and McCain, veterans both. People like Jessica Lynch and Shoshanna Johnson, veterans of our latest war, both ready to get on with their lives as citizens. Veterans should be celebrated not just for what they contributed during wartime, but also for what they continue to contribute each day.

No comments: